Our Story
Our Story: The History of John Calvin Presbyterian Church
John Calvin Presbyterian Church (JCPC) was born in a time of growth and possibility. In 1958, as Annandale and the greater Washington, D.C. area expanded, the National Capital Presbytery saw the need for a new congregation. A year later, in April 1959, the Reverend Earl Christman was called from New York to be the organizing pastor, and on December 6, 1959, the first worship service was held at Belvedere Elementary School.
The young congregation quickly found a permanent home, purchasing 5.75 acres of land at 6531 Columbia Pike in September 1960. Plans for a church building took shape, with the decision to begin with a social hall that could serve as a multi-use space for worship, fellowship, and education. When the first structure was dedicated on June 3, 1962, the building still had a dirt floor, but the vision of the congregation was clear: JCPC would be a place of faith, learning, and community. Classrooms were added in 1964, reinforcing the church’s commitment to spiritual formation.
As JCPC continued to grow, so did its need for a dedicated worship space. In 1976, the congregation made the decision to build a sanctuary, which was completed in the fall of 1978 and officially dedicated on January 29, 1979.
Nearly five decades later, JCPC’s vision of a place of faith, learning, and community continued to unfold in new forms. In Spring 2026, the congregation opened its doors wider with the launch of The Community Studio — a multidisciplinary arts initiative welcoming neighbors across the greater Annandale area to create, connect, and belong together. Through accessible, hands-on programs, The Community Studio brings people together around visual art and writing classes, embodied movement workshops, and theater and music performances. It is also home to Memory Studio, where seniors living with dementia and their caregivers can find connection, support, and moments of joy.
Looking Ahead
Today, JCPC continues to be a place where faith is explored, justice is pursued, and relationships are nurtured. While much has changed since our founding in 1959, our mission remains the same: to love God, serve others, and grow together in faith.
The church’s pulpit that was carried across the street from their original gathering space at Belvedere Elementary School on Columbia Pike by JCPC’s organizing pastor Rev. Earl Christman is still in use today.
A Church Rooted in Faith and Service
From the beginning, JCPC has been more than just a building—it has been a community of people seeking to follow Christ in meaningful ways. Through the decades, our congregation has lived out its faith through vibrant worship, deep theological reflection, and a strong commitment to justice and service.
JCPC has been home to generations of worshipers who find strength in our shared faith.
Throughout the years, we have responded to the changing needs of our community, launching ministries that reflect our values of inclusion, hospitality, and peacemaking. We partner with local organizations to support our neighbors, create meaningful worship experiences that speak to both tradition and innovation, and nurture a welcoming spirit that invites all to belong.
